Tuesday, May 11, 2010

My first surfboard art.

I channeled my inner Cherokee and was inspired to do a colorgradient native american print. I know there's lots of approaches to painting a surfboard. So I just did what I was taught and tried to keep it simple.
First I stripped the board of wax and I sanded the nose with 800 grit sandpaper. Didn't want to dig into the fiberglass too much as to not weaken the board. Taped off the nose and laid a lime-turqoise-lime fade with some Montana Cans spray paint. Dope paint. Don't mind the wee islander in the background.

Laid down a bad choice of tape. Waay too sticky. Go with the blue painters tape or black graphic tape tape that comes in different thicknesses. Then I cut out the shapes I sketched. Pretty basic and after the process I was glad I didn't overcomplicate it.

Laid down some light layers of black and pulled off the tape right after and SLOWLY to try to prevent peeling. Buuuut it happened anyway. Could of sanded it more. Could of let for more dry time. Could of got the right tape. Coulda, woulda, shoulda.